The following is a summary of recent tobacco related consultations
APPG on Illicit Trade
- The APPG is holding an inquiry into the illicit trade
- Written submissions were welcomed until 27th April 2018. The TMA submission can be found here.
Science and Technology Select Committee – e-cigarettes
- The committee is holding an inquiry into e-cigarettes
- Written submissions were welcomed until 8th December 2017. The TMA submission can be found here.
EU – Tracking, Tracing & Security Features for tobacco products
- The EU conducted a technical consultation on the tracking, tracing and security features for tobacco products
- Submissions to the consultation closed on 2nd October 2017. The TMA submission can be found here.
HM Treasury – TMA representation ahead of the Autumn Budget 2017
- The TMA submitted its policy proposals to HM Treasury ahead of the Budget on 22nd November
- Submissions were accepted until the 22nd October. The TMA submission can be found here.
EU – Consultation on general arrangements for excise duty – harmonisation and simplification
- The EU is consulting on the processes for importing and exporting goods to and from the EU.
- This included the relative ease of moving goods across customs boundaries and asked whether increasing the level of automation and digitalisation would allow for better customs processes.
- Submissions to the consultation closed on 4th July 2017 and can be found here.
United Kingdom – Sanctions to tackle tobacco duty evasion and other duty evasion
- HM Revenue & Customs are currently consulting on the revision of existing as well as the addition of new sanctions.
- This follows an informal targeted consultation which closed in August 2015. A copy of the TMA’s response to the 2015 consultation can be found here
- The consultation closed on 10 May 2017 and can be found here.
Northern Ireland – Smoke-free (Private Vehicles) Regulations)
- The Northern Ireland Assembly is currently consulting on new regulations (known as Smoke-free (Private Vehicles) Regulations) to ban smoking in cars where children are present.
- The regulations will allow the use of fixed penalty notices for offences in smoke-free private vehicles and name both the Police Service of Northern Ireland and district councils as enforcement agencies for these measures.
- The consultation closed on 3 March 2017 and can be found here.
EU – Consultation on excise duties applied to manufactured tobacco
- The EU Commission is consulting on a set of possible options for the revision of Directive 2011/64/EU
- Council Directive 2011/64/EU sets out EU rules on the structure and rates of excise duty applied to manufactured tobacco. In particular, it defines and classifies various manufactured tobacco products according to their characteristics and lays down the relevant minimum rates of excise duty for the different types of products.
- The consultation closed on 16 February 2017 and can be found here.